See also [[Digital Images]] for more on processing and organizing images. See my [[/Learning Journal]] for goals and progress.
== Techniques ==
When you take pictures, there are basically three things you control:
[http://kelbytraining.com/ Kelby Training] a possible source for online courses.
=== Composition ===
[http://regex.info/blog/2011-07-19/1824 The Kind Of Shot That Ultra Thin Depth Of Field Was Made For]
=== Lighting ===
* [http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/introduction-to-white-balance/ Introduction to White Balance]. Use an [http://lifehacker.com/5659324/use-an-18-gray-card-for-better-color-balance-in-your-photos 18% gray card] for better color balance.
* [http://regex.info/blog/2008-06-30/852 A Few Polarization-Filter Examples]
=== Aperture ===
A nice [http://forums.steves-digicams.com/990799-post2.html explanation] of apertures and focal lengths, and why you can't get good depth-of-field in point-and-shoot cameras (like mine).
[http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html Online Depth of Field Calculator]
=== Fireworks ===
=== Dynamic Range ===
* [http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php?id=photo:dynamic_range Dynamic range]
* [http://www.flickr.com/groups/gimpusers/discuss/72057594090329325/ HDR in Gimp]
=== Panoramic ===
* [http://gigapan.org/ GigaPan]
* [http://digital-photography-school.com/8-guidelines-to-taking-panoramic-photos-with-any-camera 8 Guidelines to Taking Panoramic Photos with any Camera.]
== My Equipment ==
My primary camera is an [[Olympus OM-D E-M5]]. I also have a [[Canon PowerShot S95]].
Digital cameras have [http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/14563/why-is-there-a-limit-restriction-to-the-1080p-film-video-recording-time-duration limitations on video length].
* [[Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3]]
* [[Canon PowerShot SD450]]
. I have a Manfrotto 293A3-A0RC2 tripod with a ball head and QR plate. More on [http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3095070 tripods here]. I also have a Joby GorillaPod.
== Managing Photos ==
Most of my public pictures are on [http://www.flickr.com/photos/eekim/ Flickr]. View analytics via [http://stats.vispillo.org/ flickrstats]. One day, I'll [http://faenwp.blogspot.com/2011/06/mass-uploading-your-flickr-photos-to.html upload some of these to Wikimedia Commons]. I'm intrigued by [[ThisLife]] and [[Everpix]].
'm migrating over to [[Adobe Lightroom]] for editing and photo management.
I wrote some of my own tools for cataloging my digital prints, which are now heavily outdated. They were inspired and based heavily on [http://impressive.net/people/gerald/ Gerald Oskoboiny]'s [http://impressive.net/software/photo/ digital photo publishing software].
* [http://photofocus.com/2013/03/03/lazy-scanning-photoshops-crop-and-straighten-command/ Lazy Scanning — Photoshop’s Crop and Straighten Command]
=== Notes ===
Tags + types. Tags can have types. If I want to get really funky, types can have relationships -- an ontology! For example, the "Eugene Eric Kim" tag could be of type "People." This would allow me to do faceted classification.
I'd love to integrate [http://duhblog.com/ Greg Elin]'s [http://www.fotonotes.net/ Fotonotes] for granular annotations.
= = Favorites from Eugene Chan
* [http://flickr.com/photos/eugevon/3088932284/ lobsters]
* [http://flickr.com/photos/eugevon/2363591914/ bus]
== Photo Mosaics ==
The best tool for doing these on Linux seems to be [http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/metapixel/ metapixel]:
* [http://www.linux.com/feature/125624 Three photo mosaic apps compared]
== See Also == * [http://photography.bastardsbook.com/toc/ The Bastards Book of Photography: An open-source guide to working with light] * The Ideal Digital Photographer's Workflow, [http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/4439 Part 1], [http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/4536 Part 2] * [http://www.macdevcenter.com/lpt/a/2849 Top Ten Digital Photography Tips] * [http://betterdigitalphotography.blogspot.com/2010/11/top-10-misconceptions-about-photography.html Legal Misconceptions] * [http://curbly.com/bruno/posts/9304-how-to-set-up-a-diy-photo-booth-using-your-computer-free-software-download-included DIY Photo Booth] (on Mac) * [http://www.brokencitylab.org/blog/how-to-make-a-time-lapse-video-from-stills/ How to make a time-lapse video from stills] (using iPhoto and QuickTime) == Photographers ==
* [http://www.tomrobinsonphotography.com/ Tom Robinson Photography]. Love this guy's photos.
* [http://www.neilta.ca/ Neil Ta]
Mentions from my photography class (April-May 2013):
* [http://www.macfound.org/fellows/859/ Uta Barth]
* [http://www.dougrickard.com/ Doug Rickard]